Running out of disk space on your Windows 10 computer? Are you feeling overwhelmed with all the options for reclaiming disk space and don’t know where to begin? Don’t worry! This blog will provide you with a step-by-step guide that can help you free up some disk space and get your computer running smoothly again. Learn How to Clear Disk Space on Windows 10?
How to Clear Disk Space on Windows 10?
- Uninstall Unused Programs – One of the easiest ways to free up disk space is by uninstalling any programs that you no longer use. To view the list of installed programs, open the Start Menu and search for “Add or remove programs.” From there, select any programs that are no longer needed and click “Uninstall.” If you want to free up even more disk space, consider downloading alternative software that is smaller in file size.
- Delete Temporary Files – Temporary files are created by certain programs as part of their normal operation. Over time, these files can accumulate and take up a significant amount of disk space. To delete them, open the Start Menu and search for “Disk Cleanup.” Select “Clean Up System Files” and then check the box next to “Temporary Files” before clicking OK. Once those files have been deleted, your computer should have more available disk space.
- Disable Hibernation Mode – By default, Windows 10 uses a feature called Hibernation mode which saves an image of your system state so it can quickly resume from sleep or shutdown when needed. This feature takes up quite a bit of hard drive space though (usually around 75% of total RAM). If you don’t need this feature enabled, you can disable it by opening Command Prompt (as administrator) and typing in “powercfg /h off” without quotes before hitting Enter. This will immediately free up some hard drive space as well as improve your boot time.
- Remove Unneeded Language Packs – If you’re using a multi-language version of Windows 10, you may find that multiple language packs are installed on your machine unnecessarily taking up a lot of disk space in the process. You can remove these language packs by opening Control Panel > Language > Advanced Settings > Change Language Settings > Advanced tab > Remove languages button before selecting the languages that you want to remove and clicking OK.
- Enable Storage Sense – The Storage Sense feature is an often overlooked tool in Windows 10 which helps automate many common tasks such as deleting temporary files older than a certain number of days or moving infrequently used files offsite to an external drive or cloud storage service such as OneDrive or Dropbox if configured properly . To enable Storage Sense go to Settings > System > Storage and make sure the toggle switch under Storage Sense is set to On position .
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution for freeing up hard drive space but following these five steps should help most people reclaim some much needed storage on their Windows 10 machines . Additionally , be sure to check out other resources online such as tutorials , forums , etc . for further assistance if needed . Ultimately , by taking control over how much data is stored on your machine , you’ll be able to keep it running optimally without having to worry about running out of storage anytime soon !